Thursday, May 24, 2007

My breastfeeding journey - Part 1

No one in mine or my in-law family have had the experience in breastfeeding so when I'm determined to breastfeed Dillon (actually I don't recall what makes me decided to breastfeed my baby), I need to do lots of reading from the web, books & ask for advice from friends, I've also attended a seminar held at Pantai Bangsar.

Right after Dillon was born & cleaned by the nurse, he was placed in the labour room with me, the nurse taught me how to let him latch on properly & then he immediately start sucking...... It was such a peaceful scene & I definitely won't forget this beautiful moment in my life.

When we returned home, I continued to breastfeed him but I'm so stressed that I don't seem to have the milk flowing in, so I decided to mix feed with formula milk in bottle as I don't want to push myself too hard. Being a 1st time mum without experience, I was so frustrated & nearly gave up on breastfeeding if I have not got the support from my hubby & some breastfeeding mums. It was real tough for the first few days & finally it got better after I had my Malay urut session on the 4th day. The milk flow started to establish & I began to gain back the confidence in myself.

When I have to return to work after 2 months of maternity leave, it's another challenging part in the breastfeeding journey for me........ to be continued in next post......

6 comments:

LHS said...

try milkmaid tea if you want to have more milk supply. do visit www.thebabyloft.com

Anonymous said...

I had the same problem as you too. I had to supplement formula for the first 2 months for Brae and gradually decrease the formula.

Even now I have low milk supply for Shay. I'm trying to pump 2-3 oz everyday while I'm nursing Shay to boost up my supply and also to feed the girl when we are out for long. Shay is very very distracted and refused to nurse outside....

Unknown said...

i still remember the moment qiqi was brought to me for the first time and when she latched to me, was so amazed she could suck immediately. A moment that one would never forget.

karenyiau said...

Hi huisia & babykhong, it was the 1st few days that is tough, maybe coz 1st time mum, luckily after that have more supply of milk coz Dillon drinks 5oz starting 3rd week & 7oz in his 2nd month!!

chinnee, how could one forget that amzing feeling between us & baby? :)

jazzmint said...

1st time always tough...after that u will get the hang of it :)

cairo's mommy said...

goodluck w your 2nd time :D may your milk come in fast n overflow w abundance (time to get bigger fridge?)hahaha

my mom called me a child torturer for starving cairo cos she didnt understand that colustrum are not meant to come in squirting gushes :p